Turn Scrap Lumber into an Outboard Motor Stand

My most essential tool for working on my outboard motor is its stand. Without it, maintaining my 80+ pound, 8 HP Yamaha 4-stroke would be like a wrestling match.

You don’t want to store an outboard motor lying on a floor or workbench in your garage when it isn’t on the boat, especially all winter. You want it to be easy to work on, to move around, and to load and unload either from your tow vehicle or the mount on your sailboat. A motor stand, especially one on casters, makes maintenance and storage a breeze.

You can buy a manufactured stand, like this one from Garelick, but if you have a few spare 2x4s and some deck screws, you can make one for next to nothing. All you need is a good set of plans.

I found these these excellent plans and photos that saved me hours of designing a stand of my own. You can download the PDF file, print it out and build it in a couple of hours. The drawings are clear and accurate. I like that the stand has a convenient place on the front of it to hold a gas tank. That makes moving the motor outdoors for test running and flushing easy-peasy.

After using this stand for more than 3 years, it’s as strong as ever and it’s saved my back many times. This project is a no-brainer and one you’ll be glad you did.

The Bottom Line

Suggested price: $93.80
$tingy Sailor cost: $0
Savings: $93.80

Advertisements

10 Comments Add yours

1. Mike says:

This post is perfectly timed. I was considering building my own stand recently and now you’re right…Don’t have to find plans. Thanks!

Michael

2. Peter says:

I made a moveable one for my 10 hp Honda from an old bag trolley. I can wheel it around. We sometimes have these trolleys on sale at the autoshop for $25. The rest is scrap wood. Our driveway gravel and not suitable for casters. can send photo….

1. Mike says:

Yes sir, that’d be great!

1. I think Peter is talking about making one from an abandoned shopping cart, like here.

2. Peter says:

Here is my Honda hand cart. It is a bit rough and has been out in the rain for a couple of years as the boat is elsewhere and I’ve done the servicing on the boat. It worked well enough for me. You can see that I have put a bar across to give it sideways stability. An improvement would be to extend the tray out so that the foot of the motor rests on it. I used to rest the foot on a block to stop it tilting forward on my gravel and sand block. I used to wheel it up to the ute, drag the motor over the tailgate until it tipped then with the motor upright it was a reasonable lift to get it on the trolley. Then I could wheel it wherever.

Hand truck turned motor stand

3. That’s not stingy that’s thrifty!

4. David Larson says:

Thanks for the inspiration. I built a scaled-down version (16″ wide) today for my 5HP Honda. All scrap lumber, but I bought casters and screws, so not quite free.

1. Good on ya, stingy Dave!

5. Tom says:

What do you think weight limit would be? I have a very old (70’s) 40 hp Mercury.

1. Hello, Tom

I think this stand would hold your motor if it’s tall enough. Besides deck screws, I would also also apply construction adhesive to all the joints and if you’re going to use casters, get larger and heavier duty ones than shown here.