As I said in Top 10 DIY Projects of 2015, we got a lot of work done on our sailboats last year. I’ve received comments and emails from many of you who rolled up your sleeves and took on DIY projects large and small, simple and complex. Now’s your turn to show off some of your hard work for a chance to win prizes and worldwide acclaim!
Starting today and running through March 31, 2016, you can enter your best restoration or improvement project in the Stingy Sailor DIY Project Contest.
The top four entries will be awarded prizes from our generous contest sponsors:
- First Place – Sailrite $50 USD gift certificate and a one-year digital or online subscription to Good Old Boat magazine.
- Second Place – DrSails epoxy emergency repair adhesive (25 ml) from Sailing Technologies and a one-year digital or online subscription to Good Old Boat magazine. Watch for an upcoming product review of DrSails on this blog.
- Third Place – Winner’s choice of any $tingy Sailor eBook and a one year digital or online subscription to Good Old Boat magazine.
- Fourth Place – One year digital or online subscription to Good Old Boat magazine.
The requirements are simple. Send an email to email@example.com that includes ALL of the following:
- Year, make, and model of your sailboat.
- The subject of your project, what it was about.
- When you did the project and how long the project took. Only completed projects may be entered, no work in progress.
- A detailed description of how you did it and what products you used. This doesn’t have to be numbered steps but enough to explain everything you did.
- The total cost of the parts and materials. Also doesn’t have to be exact but to the best of your knowledge.
- At least one high-quality picture of the result. Additional pictures and video can increase your score.
- Your full name, telephone number, and mailing address for prize delivery.
Basically, what you can find in each of the projects here on The $tingy Sailor. That’s because, besides the prizes, the First Place project will also be featured in a future blog post for the whole world to admire—which comes with major bragging rights for the winner!
Yours truly will personally judge each entry based on the following criteria (in no particular order):
- Innovation – How clever and creative is it?
- Economy – Not necessarily lowest cost, but the most bang for the buck.
- Utility – How useful is it? Does it enhance sailing enjoyment, comfort, convenience, or safety?
- Craftsmanship – How much skill was applied?
- Presentation – Quality of the entry text, photos, or video.
Be sure to read the complete contest rules. And I would really appreciate it if you would share this post on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, your favorite sailing websites, or with your friends by email.
Now get busy and enter your projects. I’m looking forward to seeing what YOU have been doing!
This contest is possible because of the generous contributions of the following sponsors. Support them because they support you!
Would you like to be notified when I publish more posts like this? Enter your email address below to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. You will also receive occasional newsletters with exclusive info and deals only for followers and the password to the Downloads page. It’s free and you can unsubscribe at any time but almost nobody does!